LFC tops the Sport Positive Sustainability League
Liverpool FC has topped the 2021 Sport Positive Environmental Sustainability League.
The Reds and Tottenham Hotspur have been recognised as the greenest clubs in the Premier League, taking joint-top spot.
The Sport Positive League is an independent environmental sustainability table, which looks at all clubs across the Premier League and measures their environmental credentials.
It recognised the huge improvements Liverpool FC has made since the launch of The Red Way initiative last year – its approach to creating a better future for our communities and our planet.
The club scored 23 points out of a maximum of 24, showing its holistic commitment to environmental sustainability through every part of the organisation.
The Red Way initiatives that contributed to this top-of-the-league spot include:
- Electricity and gas for the club’s UK-operated sites are from renewable sources, all food for club catering is sourced locally in the north west of England to reduce food miles and support the local economy, and vegetables grown at allotments at the Academy and Anfield are used by club chefs.
- Through LFC Foundation’s schools project, #iwill youth social action, several project groups have chosen to investigate and learn more about reducing plastic waste and tackling pollution levels.
- LFC Foundation has also been involved in Planet Super League, via the Primary Stars programme – a place for fans of all ages to learn about climate action and do fun things to cut their emissions.
- The Red Neighbours team integrated environmental sustainability education into their work with local schools.
- At the AXA Training Centre and Academy sites, inner-city nature has been given a helping hand with more than 900 trees, hedges, bushes and wildflower plugs planted; vegetable-raised beds with chefs using the produce in-season to feed players and staff; bug houses, a hedgehog house, log piles, bird boxes and bird feeders for nature to thrive.
“This is a great achievement for the club as we continue to create and build a sustainable business, and a sustainable club. Congratulations to Tottenham Hotspur, who we share this top spot with. “As a football club with a global fanbase we’re proud to be leading the way on important environmental issues. The Red Way has achieved a lot in its first year. There is so much more to do, but the club has created a solid foundation and is committed to building on this achievement. As we move forward, we will constantly evaluate the way we operate, to operate in the most sustainable way. “We will continue to strive to provide the tools and opportunities for everyone connected to the club to take meaningful actions that will create a healthy planet and thriving communities.”
The Sport Positive EPL Environmental Matrix measures each club’s policy and commitment, clean energy, energy efficiency, sustainability transport, single-use plastic reduction or removal, waste management, water efficiency, plant-based/low carbon food, biodiversity, education, and communication and engagement on sustainability.
“Congratulations to Liverpool FC for taking joint-first place in our Sport Positive EPL Environmental Sustainability League for 2021. “It is clear to see the amount of work that Liverpool FC have put into overhauling their environmental sustainability work in the past few years to the comprehensive strategy we can see today, and it’s incredible to see it permeate across every facet of the organisation. “The club and its fans all over the world should be very proud of this achievement but we must continue to do more, and I know LFC has so much more in the works. The climate crisis is not standing still, and neither can we.”
The club is also a signatory to UN Sports for Climate Action Framework and is committed to the higher ambition level, recently completing a carbon emissions inventory.
Read moreLiverpool FC